OA Lodge History
Ha-Kin-Skay-A-Ki Lodge 387
Ha-Kin-Skay-A-Ki Lodge is the Order of the Arrow Lodge for the Pikes Peak Council with headquarters in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
The Pikes Peak Council provides Scouting services to over 10,000 youth in an area spanning Colorado Springs, Woodland Park, Canon City and communities on Colorado's Eastern Plains.
At the Annual Pikes Peak Council Meeting of 1946, which was held at the Antlers Hotel, the Camping Committee went on record that they were interested in the possibility of starting this new honor society which had full sanction of the Boy Scouts of America. Clark was named to further investigate the program of the Order of the Arrow, since he was already a member, he proceeded to start pushing the new organization at every opportunity he had. Finally, the Order of the Arrow was adopted as a program within the Pikes Peak Council. at the Executive Board meeting in March of 1947. Rules and regulations were adopted; selection of charter members of the local organization (lodge), and a name for the Lodge was selected. Upon the recommendation of several prospective members of the Lodge, the first official meeting of the Lodge was held at the close of the camping season, on August 7, 1947. The place of the meeting has been forgotten.
The original name of the Lodge, according to some of the charter members, translated to "Big Sheep on the Mountain", which was also to serve as the totem for the Lodge.
With Harold Clark serving as the Adviser of the Lodge, the young Lodge functioned as the Brotherhood of Cheerful Service and promoted camp during the entire year.
In the fall of 1947, the first Fall Fellowship was held and members were given more information about the new Lodge at the foot of Pikes Peak.