Basic Training - Boy Scouts
Basic Training for your position has been made simple, just follow these 3 simple steps:
Step 1 - Position Requirements
Look up your position to see which courses are required to be 'Basic Trained': Trained Leader Requirements
Step 2 - Online Courses
Visit My.Scouting.org to take those courses offered online.
Select HOME> My Dashboard and become familiar with each of the 4 horizontal tabs in the My Training menu:
- YPT: You must complete the Youth Protection Training course for your position to be registered.
- Training Center: Select the BSA program you are registered with and complete the Leader Position Specific Training.
- Requirements: Here you'll find a list of every position you are currently registered for with the associated courses required for 'Basic Training'.
- Completions: A list of all training you have completed to date. Please contact your Unit Training Chair with a copy of your training documents if any of your training is missing and it can be recorded.
Step 3 - Classroom Courses
Check below to see classroom courses being offered in our Council or check the Calendar:
Course Information and Locations:
- SLST - Scout Leader Specific Training is designed for Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters and covers the fundamentals of developing and leading a successful Boy Scout Troop. 8AM-1PM
- IOLS - Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills is required outdoor training for all Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters, and Varsity Scout Coaches. The skills taught are based on the outdoor skills found in the Boy Scout Handbook. This training includes three meals, a cracker barrel, site fees, and course materials. 5PM Friday to 9PM Saturday.
March IOLS Flyer. Class held at Camp Alexander.
- COR Training - Chartered Organization Representative training provides an introduction to the responsibilities, opportunities, and resources that will ensure a successful experience for the COR. This training is good for COR's in all units; Pack, Troop, Team and Crew. There is no fee for this class. Council Training Center. 9am-12pm, March 18 or 6pm-9pm, March 22. Please click HERE to register.
IOLS - Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills August 25, 2017 to August 26
IOLS - Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills September 15, 2017 to September 16
SLST - Scout Leader Specific Training November 18, 2017